The Land Based Treatment Counselor is a unique position that combines the skills of an outdoor experiential learning leader with that of a treatment counselor. Staff in this position will be living and working in outdoor settings with participants and will have a weekly rotational schedule. Staff in this position will be responsible for delivering a wholistic treatment program with a significant focus on Anishinabek culture and the land.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reporting to the Seven Grandfathers – Team Leader
- Responsible for taking direction from the Team Leader and Clinical Director and implementing it within the program.
- Continue to develop and implement model of care
- To deliver a Treatment focused Outdoor Experiential learning program; ensure group safety, teach wilderness skills, solidify course logistics, and maintain focus on the Anishinabek Culture and the therapeutic elements of the program.
- Assist in development of client centered wholistic treatment plans
- Assist with transition of participants to the live in or community aftercare programs
- Assist in implementation of research projects
- Other related duties to support the needs of the organization across all three phases of the program
- Minimum requirement is a diploma in a human service field or in outdoor leadership
- Mental health and addictions training
- Preference given to an Individual of Anishinaabe ancestry with Knowledge and understanding of Anishinabek history, clan systems, protocols, etiquette, culture, traditions, and ceremonies
- Proven experience with management, program development, research, and outcome measurement
- Experience working in Mental Health and Addictions field
- Experience working with at-risk youth and young adults in a wilderness setting
- WFR or Adv WFA with experience managing backcountry medical issues
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and projects
- Able to participate in outdoor and athletic programming
- Mature individual who is able to work independently with preference given to individuals living a traditional lifestyle and being on a life-long journey in traditional knowledge
- Possesses a valid Ontario class ‘G’ driver’s license in good standing with access to a reliable vehicle, able to obtain an ‘F’ class Driver’s license with a preference given to those who already hold a class ‘F’ driver’s license
- Ability to work outside normal business hours as required
- Must have a relevant Diploma – with a preference for a designation with a regulatory college
Salary: $ Commensurate with qualifications
Closing Date: September 16, 2020
To Apply: Please submit a letter of application and resume with three written employment references, one from current/most recent employer and current Criminal Reference Check, Drivers Abstract, Copy of relevant Diplomas/Degrees. Incomplete or late packages will not be accepted. Please forward in a sealed envelope marked:
Gwekwaadziwin – Land Based Treatment Counselor
C/O Sam Gilchrist
2027 Highway 540, Little Current, ON, P0P1S0
Complete Applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference email: Land Based Treatment Counselor – Application
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted for an interview.